The mission of Thurman Francis Arts Academy is to acquire knowledge for successful problem solving and to participate in experiences that build character.
School Counselor Position on Confidentiality
The role of the school counselor regarding confidentiality is:
- To support the students’ right to privacy and protect confidential information received from students, the family, guardians and staff members.
- To explain the meaning and limits of confidentiality to students in developmentally appropriate terms.
- To provide appropriate disclosure and informed consent regarding the counseling relationship and confidentiality
- To inform students and the family of the limits to confidentiality when the student poses a danger to self or others.
Tennessee School Counseling Student Standards
The Tennessee School Counseling Student Standards describe the attitudes, knowledge, skills, and experiences that students need to achieve academic success, social and emotional development, and college and career readiness.
The standards are organized in three broad domains: academic development, social and emotional development, and college and career readiness. These domains promote the attitudes, knowledge, skills, and experiences that enhance the learning process and create a culture of college and career readiness for all students. The definitions of each domain are as follows:
- Academic Development: Standards guiding school counseling programs to implement strategies and activities to support and maximize each student’s ability to learn.
- Social and Emotional Development: Standards guiding school counseling programs to help students manage emotions and learn and apply appropriate interpersonal skills.
- College and Career Readiness: Standards guiding school counseling programs to help students understand the connection between school and the world of work and to plan for and make a successful transition from school to postsecondary education and the work force.
School Counselor Role
- Academic Support
- Personal & Social Support
- College and Career Readiness
- Individual and Small Group Counseling
- Individual, Family, and School crisis intervention
- Consultation & Collaboration with all stakeholders
- Connecting students & parents with community resources
- Professional Development
- Consultation and Collaboration
- Program Management